Application Lifecycle Management is a popular QC-oriented software tool produced by Micro Focus with the aim of thoroughly developing and testing any web application. Many organizations rely on this tool to save time and effort spent on the project as it helps in effective project planning, requirement analysis, productive testing, and final deployment at the client’s site.
HP QC ALM Interview Questions and Answers:
Let us look into the most commonly asked HP ALM Interview questions to help you crack the interview easily.
- What is the purpose of choosing this HP ALM tool? It is a web-based test management tool to test web applications by acting as a productive communication channel among business stakeholders. One key benefit of this tool is that it can be integrated with Automation tools like QTP, Loadrunner, and WinRunner for an efficient testing process.
- BugZilla Vs. Quality Centre Quality Centre is a test-oriented tool that manages defects apart from other features whereas Bugzilla is a defect-oriented tool that is meant for managing the defects only.
- Explain the need of creating a Child requirement in QC. Child Requirements helps in easy test coverage by mapping them with the main requirement. Also, reported defects can be mapped with the child’s requirement for achieving better test results.
- What is a Test Lab? The test cases to be executed are actually created in the test plan module and imported into the test lab for further execution to generate summary reports.
- How to avoid duplication of bugs in HP QC? Enter a bug title in the new bug section and hit find a similar defect, which helps in identifying the similar bugs if already reported. This way duplicate bugs are filtered before saving it into the database of the HP tool.
- How is defect ID generated in the Quality Centre? Defect ID is automatically populated after filling in the defect details and hitting the submit button.
- How do you convert test cases from Excel/Word into QC? Install and configure the Microsoft Excel/Word plug-in for Quality Center. Next, map the columns in Excel/Word document with the same column names in QC tool. Export the test cases from Excel/Word to QC via Tools-> Export to Quality Center option in Word/Excel.
- Is it feasible to export files from QC to Excel/Word? In the requirement tab, right-click on the req and click on export to word or excel. This will automatically import all the child requirements mapped to the parent. In the test plan tab, select any test script and click on the design steps, right-click anywhere, and choose to save as an option to import a file as a local document. Test lab tab selects a child group and click on the execution group, right-click anywhere and save it in the default excel format. In the defects tab, right-click anywhere and choose the defects you want to import to excel or select all.
- How are the tests executed and saved in the test lab? The tests executed are saved into the test lab automatically as soon as the user commits to the End program.
- How to change between projects in QC? QC 9.0 version supports project shifting easily by the following approach. Select Tools-> Change Projects-> Select Project.
- What is the benefit of saving requirements in QC?
- Saving requirements helps in creating a detailed test plan for achieving thorough test coverage.
- Helps in the easy altering of test cases when there is a requirement change by highlighting the specific test cases mapped to the requirement.
- Useful for efficient tracking of the project by high-level project teams.
- What are coverage metrics? Coverage status defines the number of test cases executed against the total cases in the project.
- List the two views covered under dashboard analysis. Analysis view and dashboard view.
- What are test runs? Test runs cover the logs of all the tests ever run.
- Differentiate release and cycle. A release covers the specific requirements and changes requested by the client including a specific number of cycles. A cycle is a combined effort of the testing and development team to achieve the project release goals within the stipulated time.
- How traceability is achieved between test case and requirement? When a new requirement is created by default, the status will be not covered. To make a link between the requirement and test case, mapping needs to be done between the two for effective coverage.
- What is a sprinter? Sprinter is a testing tool created to speed up the manual testing process. Features covered in Sprinter include a smart defect, macros, annotation tools, and mirroring.
- What are business components? A test consists of multiple test steps and these steps are referred to as business components. It is useful when there are repetitive tests and makes automation of tests easier as the steps are grouped.
- What is the use of the test resource module? This module is helpful in storing the object repository and Sprinter data.
- What is Instance? A test case that is imported from the test plan module into the test lab module is referred to as an instance of the test case. It is also presumed that one single case can have many instances in the test lab.
If you are aspiring to become a successful software testing professional, then have a geek into the above HP QC interview questions to settle down in your dream job.