What is Agile?
Before we discuss Importance of Test Automation in Agile, Let see What is Agile – It is a set of ideas applied in software development and project management. Agile focuses on enabling teams to provide work in small, manageable chunks, allowing them to offer value to their clients easily. Continuous evaluation of needs, plans, and results takes place. This allows the team to adapt to changes more quickly.
Agile Testing refers to a software testing process that adheres to agile software development concepts. Agile is an iterative development process that aligns development with customer demands through engagement between the customer and self-organizing teams. Continuous Testing complements development activity and offers an ongoing feedback loop into the development process.
Another change in agile Testing is that testers are no longer seen as a distinct organizational unit. The agile development team now includes testers. In many circumstances, agile businesses do not have specialized “testers” or “QA engineers”; instead, Testing is the responsibility of everyone on the team. There are test experts in other circumstances, however, they interact closely with the team across the software project.
Methods of Agile Testing:
The following are some agile testing methods:
● Development Based on Behavior (BDD).
● Acceptance Development Through Testing (ATDD).
● Testing by Session.
1- Development Based on Behavior (BDD)
BDD enhances communication among project stakeholders so that all participants accurately grasp each feature before the development process begins. Developers, testers, and business analysts communicate continuously using examples.
2-Application Test-Driven Development (ATDD)
ATDD includes the client, the developer, and the tester. Meetings called “Three Amigos” are organized to gather information from these three roles and utilize it to develop acceptance tests. The client is concerned with the problem, the developer with how the problem will be handled, and the tester with what may go wrong. The acceptance tests represent the user’s point of view and indicate how the system will work.
The test design and execution phases work in tandem in this sort of Testing. Exploratory Testing prioritizes functioning software above detailed documentation. Individuals and their interactions are more essential than processes and instruments. Customer cooperation is more important than contract negotiation. Exploratory Testing is more responsive to changing conditions. In this test, testers explore an application to determine its functioning.
4. Testing by Session
This approach is comparable to exploratory Testing, but it is more ordered, intending to evaluate the program thoroughly. It includes test charters, which assist testers in determining what to test, and test reports, allowing testers to document what they uncover during a test. Timed sessions are used to administer tests.
Agile’ s Benefits:
● Agile allows for a great deal of engagement and cooperation between the customer and the project team.
● Clients benefit from more openness, and as a result, they better grasp the project’s phases.
● The merchandise is delivered on time, or even sooner in rare cases.
● The project’s cost is predictable, and it is completed on time.
● Changes have the potential to refine and re-prioritize the product backlog.
How to implement test automation in agile?
Agile development concepts are intrinsically opposed to automated testing principles. As a result, before developing an agile test automation plan, it is vital to examine a few crucial elements.
● Plan out the full procedure ahead of time – Proactive communication between the QA and development teams is essential in agile development. This is only possible if both teams are willing to take the initiative.
● Select the appropriate test cases to automate – Because of the fragile nature of the code, not all test cases can be automated. Automating the incorrect checks might be expensive in the long term.
● Parallel Testing should be carried out – Ongoing Testing necessitates continuous development. Automation testing in agile scrum allows testers to run multiple tests on several browsers and systems simultaneously.
● Working with DevOps integration – DevOps is a collection of methods that promotes cross-functional cooperation, which is an essential component of agile. It aids in the communication between the QA, development, and operations teams. Many test automation solutions have DevOps connectors.
Regression testing is automated in agile:
The most important sort of Testing that can be automated is regression testing. All repetitious test cases can be programmed ahead of time and run automatically, relieving testers of the burden of executing them manually. Collaboration and communication improvements Every Agile project requires a collaborative team.
Automation testing tools to leverage:
With so many open-source and commercial automation tools to pick from, selecting an automation Testing tool may be difficult. Here are some chosen automation tools and their capabilities to assist you in selecting the best one.
● Avo Assure.
● Telerik Test Studio
Agile Testing not only allows for the early discovery of problems but it also lowers the cost of faults by repairing them sooner. It necessitates extensive client interaction and Testing of code as soon as it is released. The code should be reliable enough to be tested on the system. Testers must work together more and improve their programming/automation abilities. As more tests are automated, testers will have more time to work on more complicated and demanding jobs. This technique also provides a customer-centric attitude by delivering a high-quality product as soon as feasible.
The Agile and Scrum Training and Certification in Canada course teaches you how to use Agile techniques and Scrum practices. The Agile methodology is an Agile subset that enables collaborative teams to deliver great projects by splitting them into progressive chunks.